To get to Lisboa from Cascais or Estoril take the train to the last stop Cais do Sodré. Buses, cabs, and the Metro to other parts of Lisboa start here. Please note that the last entry to some monuments is about half an hour before the stated closing time.
- BELÉM TOWER:
Av. Brasilia. Open daily: 10am-5.30pm (last entrance 5pm). Train station: Belém. Built on the edge of the river as a strategic post. Good views from the upstairs balconies.
- DISCOVERIES MONUMENT:
Av Brasilia, Belém. Open: Mar-Sept: 10am-6.30pm. Oct-Feb: 10am-5.30m. Train station: Belém. The monument was innaugurated in 1960 as a tribute to the sea voyagers led by Prince Henry the Navigator. Good views from the top.
- JERONIMOS MONASTERY:
Praça do Império, Belém. Tel: +351-21-3620034. Open: 9.30am-6pm. Train station: Belém. A fine and impressive example of Manueline architecture. Construction began in 1502 by order of King Manuel to commemorate the discovery of the sea route to India. Expect to queue in the high season as seen above in May 2023. The south wing which housed the National Museum of Archaeology is closed until 2025 due to renovations.
- PALÁCIO NACIONAL DA AJUDA:
Largo da Ajuda. Tel: +351-21-3637095. Open: 10am-5.30pm. Closed Wednesday. Work on this palace began in 1802 and only completed many years later. A residence for former Portuguese royalty. Rooms with paintings, furniture and sculptures.
- VASCO DA GAMA AQUARIUM (Aquário Vasco da Gama):
R. Direita, Dafundo, Algés, Tel: +351-21-4205000. Open daily: 10am-5.30pm. Train station: Algés. Opened in 1898. Houses King Carlos I’s collection of items related to the sea. More than 200 species of Atlantic marine and freshwater fauna.
- CARMO CONVENT (Ruinas do Convento do Carmo):
Rua do Carmo. Open daily May-Oct: 10am-6.40pm. Nov-Apr 10am-5.40pm. Closed Sun. Archaelogical artifacts in the ruins of a former convent.
- BASÍLICA DA ESTRELA / JARDIM DA ESTRELA:
Rua da Estrela. Tel: +351-21- 3960915. Open: 10.30am-7.30pm. A Baroque Roman architecture 18th century church. Built by order of Queen Maria I to fulfill a promise on the birth of a son, Prince José. Construction began in 1779 and was completed in 1790. It opened in 1794.
Opposite the Basilica is the Estrela Garden.
- MUSEUM AND BOTANICAL GARDEN (Museu e Jardim Botânico):
Rua da Escola Politécnica, 58, Príncipe Real. Tel: +351-21-3921800. Open. 9am-6pm. Approximately 4 hectares with 15,000 species, including gymnosperms. One of the richest in Europe for palm trees.
- PARQUE EDUARDO VII:
Just beside the Marquês de Pombal roundabout with his statue unveiled in 1934. The park was renamed in 1903 by the then mayor Rosa Araújo with the visit of King Edward VII to Lisbon. It is the venue for the annual Lisbon book fair.
- ESTUFA FRIA / QUENTE GREENHOUSES:
Parque Eduardo VII. Tel: +351-21- 3850408. Open: 9am-5.30pm. Tropical, sub-tropical and regional plants and trees under greenhouses.
- SÃO ROQUE CHURCH:
Largo Trindade Coelho. Tel: +351-21-3235065. Open: Tues-Sun 10am-6pm. Closed Mon. 16th and 17th Century sacred art.
- SANTA JUSTA LIFT (Elevador de Santa Justa):
This elevator takes you from the Rua do Ouro to the Bairro Alto area. It was innaugurated in 1901, designed by the French architect Louis Reynard and built by the engineer Roaul Mesnier de Ponsard.
- SÉ CATEDRAL:
Largo da Sé. Open: 10am – 6pm. Sat: 10am – 1pm. Closed Sunday.
Built at the end of the 12th century of Roman-Gothic style by order of King Afonso Henriques after reconquering Lisbon from the Moors. It underwent various changes being rebuilt after the earthquakes of 1344 and 1755.
- NATIONAL PANTHEON (Panteão Nacional):
Campo de Santa Clara, Alfama. Tel: +351-21-8881529. Open: 10am-5pm Closed: Mon. Baroque 17th century church with the tombs of Portugal’s presidents, the Dukes of Bragança, writers and other illustrious nationals.
- CASA DOS BICOS/ FUNDAÇÃO JOSÉ SARAMAGO:
Rua dos Bacalhoeiros, 10. Tel: +351-218802040. Open: 10am – 5.30pm. Closed Sunday. The building is of 1523. The outside façade has unusual diamond shaped stones hence the name of the building. Houses the works of the writer José Saramago and his Foundation.
- ST JORGE’S CASTLE (Castelo de S. Jorge):
Rua de Santa Cruz do Castelo. Tel: +351-21-8800620. Open: 9am-9pm. Built on one of Lisboa’s seven hills to defend the city from enemies. It was occupied by Romans, Visigoths and Moors. Spectacular views of the city and River Tagus.
- LISBOA ZOO:
Praça Marechal Humberto Delgado. Tel: +351-21-7232900. Open daily: 10am-8pm. Opened in 1884.